ESG – Environment, Social, Governance
Sustainability, taking into account ESG aspects (environment, social and governance) and their further development, has been a fundamental part of the business strategy since RLI Investors was founded. For us, this means striking a balance between the interests of investors on the one hand and the needs of our employees, tenants and partners and the environment on the other. We endeavour to embed ESG best practices in our processes for real estate investments and real estate management. Through our commitment to responsible and sustainable investment and management of logistics properties, we would like to offer our investors an improved risk-adjusted return and show our tenants that we respect their needs and implement them in a manner that meets their interests.
How we handle ESG (environment, social, governance) factors at portfolio level
Significant reduction in the energy consumption of the real estate portfolios managed by RLI Investors.
Advantages of sustainable real estate investment approach for investors and society:
- Selection of promising investment locations
- Reduction of the ecological footprint by
- measures to reduce energy consumption
- further CO2 reduction with the help of environmentally compatible energy sources
- Continuing improvement in building quality
- Focus on tenant retention and recruiting
- Another perspective when making investment decisions
- Gain of reputation
- Sustainability filter identifies risks that are often neglected in traditional financial analysis, such as emerging environmental regulations, inefficient use of scarce resources, poor corporate governance structures
- Sustainability = long-term risk minimization
How to become and remain a “Green Star”?
An important milestone during our journey to become a so-called “Green Star” was the participation in the GRESB rating in 2020 with the “RLI Logistics Fund – Germany I”. In order to become a “Green Star” the valued properties and funds must achieve a convincing overall result. In addition, the competitors are compared in a peer group. GRESB demands are increasing from year to year, thereby driving the trend that sustainability aspects and their further development become a fundamental component of the business strategy of leading real estate companies. Besides we are actively supporting the initiative ECORE –ESG Circle of Real Estate.
Success factors for ESG-compliant real estate investments
- Creating transparency
- Reporting standards and data exchange
- Benchmark and industry standards, e.g. GRESB
How we handle ESG (environment, social, governance) factors at management level
Through various measures, RLI Investors is already making a positive social contribution within the framework of our corporate responsibility strategy. We strive to constantly develop these further and to adapt them to the needs of our employees and further stakeholders.
- We live flat hierarchies in our team.
- The selection of qualified employees and organic growth is part of the strategy.
- A fair payment as recognition of performance and increased motivation is a matter of course for us.
- Promotion through further training in the respective specialist areas opens up prospects.
- We reward independent work through monetary participation in corporate success.
- Open feedback culture is an important part of our cooperation.
- We support the reconciliation of leisure, family and work through home office days and flexible working hours.